Microdermabrasion | What is It and How do I Prepare for It?
Microdermabrasion is an exfoliating procedure that removes the superficial layer of dry, dead skin cells on your face. This non-invasive procedure is extremely popular in skin care clinics across the world because of its proven effectiveness and many benefits. According to Maria Barry, licensed medical aesthetician, this treatment not only buffs and polishes the skin but can also benefit patients who have fine lines, pigmentation and clogged pores.
When to consider a microdermabrasion treatment?
- If you want softer, smoother skin that looks fresh and youthful
- If you want to improve the appearance of sun damage, pigmentation and wrinkles
- If you want to maintain your skin and give it a healthy glow
- If you have clogged or enlarged pores
- If you’re looking for a safe, chemical free way of rejuvenating your skin
As mentioned above, receiving a treatment of this nature has many benefits including improved cell production; improved blood flow and circulation; improved nutrition delivery to the skin; and improved elasticity and collagen production. Ultimately, these treatments, especially when using a medical grade machine like the one used at Face Emergency Skin Care, are considered one of the most effective treatment plans for youthful looking skin.
How to prepare for treatment?
One of the pros of going for this treatment is that it is extremely time-effective. Unlike many other procedures, microdermabrasion is a simple procedure that only take about 30 minutes and does not require any prior cleansing tests, medication or doctor’s appointment. On top of this, the down-time after a treatment is so minimal that you could even do it during your lunch break. Amazing, right?
Here are some simple dos and don’ts before receiving treatment:
- Steer clear of Retin-A or any other exfoliating creams prior to your treatment. We recommend you stop using these creams about 1 to 3 days before your treatment
- Avoid over exposure to the sun and sun creams at least a week before your treatment
- Refrain from waxing a few weeks before the treatment
- Stop smoking at least six weeks before undergoing treatment. This will help promote more effective
- Don’t consume any anti-inflammatory drugs prior to your treatment
- Stay hydrated!
- Wash your face oil-free cleanser before your treatment
What to do after a treatment?
While the treatment is quick and effective, there are a few post-treatment tips that can help you maintain and maximize your treatment.
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid hot places and direct sunlight for a few days after treatment
- Use a gentle face cleanser
- Keep the skin moisturized
- Eat lots of fruit and nutrient rich foods
- Avoid exfoliating products for 3 days after treatment
- Avoid waxing for at least a month after your treatment
- Stock up on some good quality Vitamin A supplements
Microdermabrasion treatments are FDA approved and have proven effective in refining the texture of your skin while tightening the layers below the skin. Using the Bellamed II, the microdermabrasion treatments offered at Face Emergency help with acne scarring, stretch marks, age spots and so much more. We think like the Skin!